Thursday, July 16, 2009

Russian's new geek game

The Russian has been drooling over a board game store for a couple of years now -- every time we go to our nearest mall it's right there, staring him in the face. Actually, it's right next to the food court, so we're always walking by, and it's like a magnet, tempting him, beckoning him, so he goes in there and stares at things he's not going to buy anyway. Boys...

Well this all came to a boiling point a few days ago, when he broke down and *begged* me to let him get us a board game. Here are the ridiculous reasons he came up with to try to negotiate my agreement:

0. "It's gonna be awesome. Best game you'll ever play. Way better than Monopoly."
1. "It's an investment! It'll last forever"
2. "Think of our kids -- our kids will play this with us! Good family moment!"
3. "This game is a classic, it's so highly rated online!"
4. "You love that Harvest Moon game, this one is just like it!"
5. "Come on, I never get to buy myself games, just once!"
6. "I promise, it'll be under $25, seriously!!!"

etc. etc. etc., this went on for 30 minutes at least. (I gave up pretty quick, actually, now that I think about it.)

So I waved him off -- fine fine, Russian, just go, buy the stupid game already, just stop bothering me, I'm trying to watch "CSI: Murderous Psychos: Chattanooga" or whatever.

Before I even finished my sentence, he was gone. All I heard was the tires peeling away on the street, as he raced to the mall. He was back in mere moments -- it's not even humanly possible to get to the mall, buy something, and return that fast using a conventional automobile. I think he ran, on foot, powered by his adrenaline and excitement, faster than any car could travel.

As soon as he stepped back in the door, he gives me this line:

"Wow, hon. I can't believe you gave in so quickly. I'm not sure you're gonna be ready to be a mom if you just let your kids beg you for anything they want, and just give in like that!"

I could have slapped him right there. (He was giving me the guilty smile.) It's that same scene from Friends when Phoebe challenges Ross on his views about evolution. She goes "you scientists thought the earth was flat -- then you found out it was round. And you guys thought the atom was the smallest thing, until that was split open! And now you're telling me there's not even a hint of a possibility that you might be wrong about this?" and then Ross admits there might be a small possibility and then Phoebe totally flips around and goes: "WOW, I can't believe you just gave up like that. Before I respected you, even though I disagreed with you, but now..." and she shakes her head in disappointment. Then Ross leaves in shock. Then Phoebe laughs "that was fun."

So he tried to pull that on me. Hah. Didn't work.

But I have to admit, the game is cute and fun, even though he has to force me to play it. I've won all three times so far that we've played -- the Russian is trying, but he's just not good enough. I have the natural talent. Here are some photos:



0 comments: