Monday, February 2, 2009

Skiing and Curling

Some of the activities during January month:

January 18th:

We went to try out ice skating after yet another Indian Palace dinner -- found a place which has an indoor ice skating rink and also an outdoor rink (which we regretted for not trying, because it looked so romantic to skate outside with all the Christmas lights).

It was a bit pricey to skate only for 1 hour, since we came late -- but I don't think I could handle more than 1 hour after falling several times. A week prior, I already fell twice during rollerblading. Really not a good month for my back! : (



January 19th:
I volunteered my Martin Luther holiday to paint the Second Harvest building - when I signed up, I thought I was going to pack some foods to hand to the families who are not able to provide food to their children. But they needed people to paint their warehouse so they could be qualified as food banks.

This was my second time volunteering at this place - last year at the same time and same place, I was putting labels on each can and packing them for each family.

At the beginning Pra and I were painting, but after 30 minutes we realized painting was not easy at all -- we got all the paint on our shoes, hair, faces and clothes. So we decided to switch our jobs to packing food. The packing was fun, they assemble a line where each person places different bags of cereal or flour in each box.

January 22nd:
My group at work was having a celebration - we had a half day off where we ate lunch and played curling. I saw curling on TV before (those crazy Canadians...) but never knew how to play it.

We got the lesson from the owner of the club, then we were divided into 8 groups where each group consisted of 4 people. Each group had a captain who would stand near the bull's eye and would try to ensure that the opponent's curling pins would not stay inside the bull's eye.

I had fun during the games -- actually I was not so bad, but most of the time my throws were too weak. I fell once (another bad day for my back) because I tried to chase the curling pin. They already warned us prior to playing NOT to run. Hehehhe most likely I missed that warning.

Our team lost the first 3 games but won the last game - we placed 7 out of 8.

If you want to know more about curling check out wikipedia, and my photos.

0 comments: