Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine

Funny, right? Yup yup yup, I found this street intersection last year when I was googling my name through google maps. Just out of curiosity, to see if there were streets based on my name "Lili" not "Lily". So I found 4 of them, and when I zoomed onto the one nearest us (in Wisconsin), I was shocked to notice it actually intersected V's last name. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!!

I told him that one day we would have to take some pictures over there. Through google maps we could see only one house near there, and it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere -- but so close to where we live (3 hours only).

So this Valentine's Day, I asked my hubby to go there together, just to check it out and see if one day we could build a house in that intersection or buy the only house standing there.

So we had to ditch the road trip to Chicago.

The trip started with our usual road trip ritual - no fixed schedule and breakfast from McD's and a mocha joe (NO ICE!!!) from BK. We left around 10 AM but did not actually get out of the city until 11.30AM. That was one of the good things about going only the two of us -- we basically stopped everywhere I wanted mmhahaha (Target to get my new lens/glasses, my workplace to get tripod (I left it inside my cabinet), BK for Mocha Joe, CubFood for V'sbreakfast, Chipotle for mine - we were planning to stop by Costco but didn't see one on our way).

Eventually after 2.5 hours drive, we got there - and at first the place was depressing, because we took a wrong turn at the exit and ended up at a tree cemetary (big big yard full of lumber), and some sort of steel refinery with clouds of steam coming out of it... very ugly and industrial area.

But it turns out we were supposed to turn the other way, and that little area was a place/town which exceeded my expectations. It was a small town and had a big ski hill hanging over it, and a couple of Asian restaurants. many houses and townhomes near our streets, a couple of them brand new houses (totally NOT the middle of nowhere ). Google really needs to update their maps.

We took some pictures and poses after setting up the camera on a tripod right in the middle of the intersection (it was not a busy intersection). After a few shots, there was a car with an old couple which drove up and parked in front of our car and just sat there waiting. We did not know why they were stalking us, but I was sure they must have wondering why the heck these two people were hanging out near the intersection and taking so many pictures of themselves and the street signs -- hheheheheheh, we were both SILLY.

Then we drove back, a bit tired. Ended up going to see 2 cheesy girly movies ("Confessions of a Shopaholic" and "He's Just NOT That Into You"). I really wanted to see the shopaholic movie ever since I read the book 3 years ago -- it was funny and silly. The movie was not as good or funny as the book -- a bit upset about that. But I was blown away by the *other* movie, I didn't expect it movie would be good actually -- turned out it was a great mix of stories, except I didn't really like the ending -- a bit too fairytale.

Overall we had fun during this Valentine day - drove to see our streets and enjoyed all day only the two of us! : )

On our way there, we made fun of Wisconsin for having weird street names and highways. At first we saw "X" street, that time V thought there would be "Y" and "Z" (geeeeeek) but 10 minutes later, we say "XX" and we laughed -- this made us think that the next one would be "XXX", but we never found that one.



The first "X" we saw




XX picture was a bit blurry because the camera was not ready when we saw the sign.



970St ...... it will take awhile to get to 1st... we saw highways "E", "F", then "E" again, then M, T, then ANOTHER E, (that's three highway E's, good luck telling people which highway E you live on, if you live there...) and highways "G", "J", "NN", T, S, O (good luck telling the difference between O and 0 zero), and none of these was in any kind of alphabetical order or anything. Wisconsin highways were named by people choosing letters out of a Scrabble bag! Seriously.

We both felt so guilty polluting the earth for our own silliness - so no more unnecessary drive other than going to work for 2 weeks to repay this weekend...

0 comments: